Sunday, August 24, 2008

Live Music PDX + Nice Nice Review

Jake Carlsen over at Live Music PDX posted a review of our record Nice Nice. Check it out -

If you weren't already planning on it, Nice Nice from Oh Darling is an album that you are going to want to get your hands on come September 16th.

As will be almost definitely mentioned in the shortly coming article over their live performance, these guys are just simply superb.

I'm calling this my new “inspirational album”. My wife and I have been playing this album pretty constantly over the last couple of weeks, and we just can't help but smile at certain tracks like Hey.Stay.Wait.Explode! or even break out in spontaneous dancing to BirdBrained.

It's easy to understand if you take a listen. Nice Nice is filled with great, poppy, upbeat, kick off your shoes and let your toes start dancing and thumping tracks.

Every time I start up one of the songs, either my wife or myself will pronounce that this is our favorite song, and with time now gone past I think we have both now announced just about every single song on the album as a huge personal favorite, if not the greatest song on the entire album.

Lead singer, Jasmine Ash, has this oh-so-girly voice that carries all the songs into a hypnotic playful state, infusing everything with a sense of glee and innocence backed by the instrumental gifts of the guitarist, Daven who provides a refreshing performance through out the album, and let's not forget the talented and lively bass renditions provided by J.Marie. I can honestly tell you that I don't normally take the time to pick out the bass lines in a song very often, but on songs like Electrocute, you can't help but sit and take notice.

All in all, these guys boast a very bright sound that seems to be taking off across the Portland Music Scene. While I can't say that this mix of bright-eyed/very effeminate type of singing mixed with good clean and cheerful instrumentals is normally my cup of tea...mostly because many times it is done to the point of distraction and loses it's charm, Oh Darling makes it work in a rare and truly enjoyable way.

These guys have elevated themselves, in my eyes, to being a true asset in the local music scene. A show that everyone should take the time to see, and a CD that will find a permanent home in your iPod as there is no such thing as a mood that this album won't play to.

With no hesitation, I give Nice Nice 5 Maple Bacon Bars. Keep your eyes open for this album as I can't recommend it highly enough.

No comments: